Re: Pushrods revisited

To: Peter Lucas <pllj@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Pushrods revisited
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 22:48:27 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Peter,
Don't get me started on compression and head milling, again.  If you recall,
I did a disertation a few months ago on the "high compression" head I bought
for my Spit.  After 2 blown head gaskets and a broken piston, I changed
heads and am very happy, since then.  You may have a bit more success than I
had, however, based on the following:

1.  I am running high compression "flat top" pistons.  This further adds to
the compression.

2.  You may have the stock "dished pistons" and shaving the head may bring
the compression up to a reasonable amount.  Mine amounted to 260 psi or
higher on all 4 cylinders.

3.  You likely won't shave off the over 1/4 inch of metal from your head
that the dope who sold me the head did.

My recommendation is to treat the cause and not the symptom.  In other
words, find out what is causing the lack of adjustability and replace the
problem part(s).  After all, it's a lot easier to take metal off, but far
more difficult to put more on.

I'm wondering if there is something keeping the rocker pedestals from going
all the way down to the head.  That would be a posibility.  Also, if the
problem is limited to one particular pushrod, it may infact be the lifter or
the cam itself.  If it is spread across the entire array, It must be in the
way the pedestals or rocker arms are mounted.

Let me know how things come out.

Joe Curry

--
"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible
 to travel across the country coast to coast without seeing