Re: Gasket Material for Figure Eight Gaskets on TR4 engine

To: "William F Daehler" <WFDaehle@mail.delcoelect.com>, <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Gasket Material for Figure Eight Gaskets on TR4 engine
From: "Bob Kramer" <rgk@flash.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 18:28:08 -0600
I used Permatex No. 2, the semi-hardening stuff. I wiped it around the
whole of both sides of the gasket and let it dry as much as possible.
BTW, the figure 8's come in steel and copper. I found that the steel
ones from Victoria British were only 14 thou thick, while the steel
ones from Moss and BFE (Payen brand) and the copper ones from TRF (OE
style) were all about 17 thou. This is handy info if you use the new HD
liners from BFE (they are a tad tall) or want to take 3 thou off the
block with stock liners. Although decking isn't recommended, I see no
reason not to if it's all matched.  There is a potential problem with
reducing the thickness of the block material in the area around the
studs, which is already prone to cracking, but 3 thou?. Also, some say
that the steel liners will rust over time and ruin the surface that the
figure 8 sets upon. I have no doubt that this would occur to some
degree, so if you choose steel, use anti-rust additives.

Bob Kramer, Austin TX
Hill Country Triumph Club
TR6x3, TR250 x3, TR3A vintage race
rgk@flash.net