Re: Gasket Material for Figure Eight Gaskets on TR4 engine

To: "William F Daehler"<WFDaehle@mail.delcoelect.com>
Subject: Re: Gasket Material for Figure Eight Gaskets on TR4 engine
From: "Chris Lillja" <Chris_Lillja@Pupress.Princeton.Edu>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 12:09:02 EST
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Will,

I have a new lower gasket set from TRF and the figure of 8 gaskets are copper
looking
metal. They seem to be solid copper or aluminum. I didn't use 'em as I was only
doing a
top end rebuild...

The FO8 gaskets maintain the liners at the correct hight above the deck (.004"
or so).
This is a VERY important spec! I can imagine it would be very bad if the non
metallic
material slowly compressed over time... you'd loose the seal at the head....

Two gasket sources that were super helpful for me were Mordy Dunst of
Gasketworks and
the list's very own Justin Wagner. Mordy makes awesome reusable solid copper
head gaskets
-- you'll need 'em if you unshroud the valves by milling or other head work.
Ya' cant
modify the flame rings of the original composite gasket (and BTW the steel
"shim"
gaskets are $130 now). If you just need a figure of eight gasket, I'd call him
first. I
don't recommend using a cork or rubber like material in that application!

Justin's valve cover gaskets are extremely practical (once again, reusable) and
they seem to be completely effective.

No connection, just a satisfied customer...
Christopher M.Lillja
Marketing Associate
Princeton University Press
Tel:609 258 4900