Re: non-Triumph Laycock overdrives?

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: non-Triumph Laycock overdrives?
From: Joe Seward <jsseward@erols.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 22:20:38 -0500
Ted,
There happens to be a Volvo J-type overdrive sitting in my garage.  I
picked it up for $150, including the Volvo gearbox that "pops out of 3rd
gear" (that's what the mechanic who sold it to me said).  The overdrive
supposedly works.  I previously converted a non-OD gearbox to OD, so
just wanted the internal parts as spares (and a working solenoid).

The serial # on this unit is 25/115655/006188.  I can't quite make out
the serial # on my TR6 OD (25/115678/xxxxxx maybe), but someone else may
be able to compare.  There seems to be a few problems with using the
Volvo OD.  For one, the casting has the proper rear mounting, but it
isn't drilled/tapped to accept studs.  Also, my TR6 OD had one longer
stud through the case to which you bolted a support bracket (the Volvo
OD doesn't).  I'm also not sure about the length of the driveshaft or
the splines, but still have the old gearbox and could check.  And as
others have pointed out, the OD itself is only a part of the puzzle.  I
found a rebuilt OD, adapter, and mainshaft for $600.  This and the
rebuild kit was less than most whole gearboxes, but some assembly was
required.

BTW, someone mentioned knowing how to add the OD switch to the gearbox.
 What kind of thread/tap do you use.  I really confused several machine
shops before giving up and mounting a VW switch instead.  So far, the
car hasn't rejected the donor part, but I have a box full of Triumph
switches that didn't cost $30 each.  Thanks.

Joe Seward
'73 TR6