Flat spot when cold

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Flat spot when cold
From: "Peter Gillis" <pgillis@cosmedia.ie>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 09:59:18 -0000
Hi All
I have a weirdo problem with my Triumph 2000Mk1 at the moment.
It goes as follows, a couple of weeks ago a new exhaust manifold gasket
was fitted to the car to cure a leak near the front of the engine, since
doing
this the Car starts perfectly well on choke and drives fine for about 1/4
of a
mile then it goes completely flat, as if running on 3/4 cyls and this
continues
for about another 1 and a half miles (until the temp. starts to rise) and
then the car
is fine for the rest of its journey. Pulling out or pushing in the choke
seems to have
no effect during the nasty period and if you depress the clutch and rev
out, it
seems to rev out quite cleanly. It won't go much over 20mph when it is like
this and is
a big problem given that this is my day to day transport.
We did balance the carbs and colourtune it at the weekend, it was running a
bit lean,
but this has had no effect.

TIA
Peter Gillis