Re: K&N air filters -

To: Allen Nugent <A.Nugent@unsw.edu.au>
Subject: Re: K&N air filters -
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 07:16:23 -0800
Cc: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
I wrote, and Allen added -
>>... you would be surprised at the amount of stuff you sniff in,
>>especially being so low the the ground - I've often wondered how sand gets
>>into the air cleaners on the truck!! and I don't drive off road - you can
>>just imagine what that could do to your cylinder walls!
>
>I agree, but I've always wondered about those hot rods with 6"-8" ram tubes
>sticking up on top of the Webers, or whatever, with no eviddence of air
>filtering. Do they simply expect to rebuild their engines so frequently that
>they don't worry about airborne abrasives?
*********************************
Allen,
I suspect that *most* of these cars are driven usually to shows, and
special events.  I don't see many driving to work and back every day.  In
the early days, the idea (besides looking cool), was to get the least
amount of restriction and the most air flow.  Which is NO air filter (but
some kind of air entry smoothing device), or velocity stacks or ram tubes
which tune the incoming air at narrow engine RPM ranges for maximum
velocity.  With race only cars, you would be rebuilding the engine after a
couple of races anyway (if you were lucky).  Little regard to engine wear.
Things are a little different for our daily driven vehicles :-}.

Barry Schwartz   (San Diego)
bschwart@pacbell.net

72 V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (When I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spit (Currently undergoing a frame off)
73 Ford Courier (parts hauler)