Re: K&N air filters -

To: jgreenb1@ix.netcom.com (Jerry Greenberg )
Subject: Re: K&N air filters -
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 1998 08:07:45 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
>I was also thinking about installing K&N air filters on the car and
>reading your message and others I guess I will do that shortly.  But my
>question is, do the K&N air filters really make that much difference in
>performance, and do you think they would make that much difference in
>the TR6.  Do you think that similar non-K&N air filters would do the
>same thing regarding performance?
*************************************
Jerry,
Can't say on the TR6, but chances are that the original air box is rather
restrictive in the upper rpm ranges which is where you will notice the most
gains.  With mine I definitely noticed the improvement over 4000 rpm.
Other air cleaners in my experience are not as effective at 'cleaning'
although they might flow better than stock, and I prefer not to let
potentially damaging particles in at the expense of a little better
breathing - you would be surprised at the amount of stuff you sniff in,
especially being so low the the ground - I've often wondered how sand gets
into the air cleaners on the truck!! and I don't drive off road - you can
just imagine what that could do to your cylinder walls!

Barry Schwartz   (San Diego)
bschwart@pacbell.net

72 V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (When I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spit (Currently undergoing a frame off)
73 Ford Courier (parts hauler)