Re: Quinton-Hazell parts

To: Atwell Haines <carbuff@scooter.net>
Subject: Re: Quinton-Hazell parts
From: Paul Burr <tigerpb@ids.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 1998 08:55:35 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Atwell Haines wrote:(snip)

> Which parts seem to cause the most trouble?   All war stories appreciated!
> Good experiences are worth sharing too.
>
> If the Q-H stuff is not the best, then what is?    And what are some
> sources for the good stuff?

Coming from my Tiger experiences, QH(Quality? HA!) has a reputation for
bad parts that exceed Lucas's "Prince of Darkness" reputation.
I personally had one of their ball joints crack an seperate whilst
driving down the road! It's a real thril ride when the car suddenly
vectors right at a 45 degree angle, and you have no steering control.
Luckily, I slid into an empty parking lot, missing a phone pole by @ a
foot and a half.
I later learned that this is not an uncommon problem with QH ball joints
in Tigers. There have been many reported cases of new QH replacement
ball joints failing within weeks of installation. In fact, when another
Calif. Assoc.of Tiger Owners member wrote to QH to ask what the problem
was, and what they were doing about it, QH got all legal and claimed
they never supplied ball joints for Tigers, only Alpines! How do they
explain the many examples of unrestored Tigers, OEM equipped with QH
ball joints, that had never had the front ends apart?
Oh, I get it, Rootes shouldn've installed them on Tigers! So QH worms
out of any liability if you put an Apline only part on a Tiger!