Re: TR6 Noisy Running Engine

To: "Steve Wilson" <triumph72@juno.com>, <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: TR6 Noisy Running Engine
From: "Nick" <Nickbk@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 1998 14:47:02 -0800

Steve talks about noises and sez:

<snip>
 He had head shaved recently, but doesn't know how much;

I think this could be a big hint...If the head is shaved and the push rod
length not adjusted accordingly, there will be at best a little noise,
worse, a lot of wear, and if to an extreme, breakage. When the head gets
thinner, the push rods become (effectively) longer and the relationship
between the end of the rocker and the end of the valve changes. At small
amounts of misalignment, the rocker tip will push across the valve stem and
increase wear and the valve will make noise as it gets slammed back and
forth in the guide. In the extreme, the rocker can make contact with the
retainer instead of the end of the valve and cause mega-wear and breakage,
not to mention "weird" noises. This problem needs immediate attention.

Measure the depth of the head to see how much has been removed (as I recall
the stock thickness on a '70 head should be 3.460") and take the same
amount off of the push rods. No you can't do that with stock push rods,
you'll have to buy a set of comp push rods with the pressed in ends.

The Car Curmudgeon
      Nick in Nor Cal

 single