TR6 Noisy Running Engine

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR6 Noisy Running Engine
From: triumph72@juno.com (Steve Wilson)
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 21:27:21 -0600
TR Circle of Wisdom,
Just found a fellow TR6 owner here on the MS Gulf Coast; they are few and
far between anywhere, I guess.  He has a '74 TR6 w/'70 or so engine (Eng
#: CC60389?) that is making a heck of a racket while idling, not too bad
at speed; tho with his exhaust system, one can't hear oneself think!  It
was dark and in a parking lot when we started to chat and listen to the
engine, so I didn't have tools to isolate his water pump or alternator by
removing the fan belt; did ask him to do this; he said he would this
weekend.  Noise was a rattle-like sound, irregular in beat (hard to dance
to), and changed as the idle fluctuated (needs tune up); sounded like it
was coming from under the valve cover around #2 or #3 cylinder.
Note:   He had head shaved recently, but doesn't know how much; single
vacuum distributor, he's tried adjusting the valves (cold @ .010, warm
while running) and probably a few other ways.  Says he's tried
everything. It is running very well and pulls well thru the gears and on
the highway; just noisy, very noisy.  Sounds like valve clatter I've
taken out when I've adjusted my own valves, but he can't adjust it out.
Personally I think he's tried to much and doesn't know what he's set,
reset, etc.  Please give me some input on where to start, what to look
for, what to listen for (to).   Many thanks in advance and let you know
what we find oot.
Will sit back with a cold brew for now and await the wisdom.  Will have
one for all of you, too.
Answer direct to me if you don't care to embarass yourself ot the list;
that's why I'm here!...  Later,   Steve