Re: "The Right Stuff"

To: "Isaac Crow" <Isaac@avana.net>
Subject: Re: "The Right Stuff"
From: mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca (John McEwen)
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 09:48:04 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Hello Isaac:

I discovered the "stuff" courtesey of a fellow sports car club member who
works for a major industrial distributor.  It seem it was developed to help
Canadian National Railways deal with major leak problems in their diesel
locomotives.  The problem involved environmental protection versus down
time.

"The Right Stuff" does do the job.  I successfully staunched the flow of
oil from the oil pan and front/rear main "seals" of my Vanguard engine
which as you know is the ancestor of the TR four cylinders.  I didn't use a
pan gasket - just the "Stuff" and it was ready to go.

Note that you have a 5 minute work time so plan to do the job before you
start spreading the goo.  The cannister is pressurized and requires a good
firm push to start the flow.  It is quite controllable as it comes out of
the container and can be spread with a finger or a spatula of some sort.

I have also used it successfully to stop the leaks from the primary case of
my AJS motorcycle - which was considered an impossibility.  If we consider
that LBCs leak oil, FBBs (Fast British Bikes) are even worse.  FBB guys
often refer to the primary cases (the cover for the engine to transmission
chain drive) as the "rear tire oiler".

I have also used it on two sets of valve covers on Ford and Chrysler V8s
and on the timing cover and seal on a Chev V8 as well as other small jobs.

I believe that the product is resistant to nearly everything and is not
prone to breaking off lumps which can get into the innards of your engine.
It is not fuel proof in the presence of raw gasoline when it is wet but I
believe - don't quote me on this but experiment - that it is fuel resistant
when it has cured.

It is not a silicone product but has similar characteristics.  The chief
advantages seem to be good workability, quick curing, freedom from forming
breakaway bits and the ability to maintain mass in hostile environments.
It is also extremely temperature resistant.  Its disadvantages are that it
is somewhat pricey and the quick curing could be problem if you put the
stuff on then have difficulty refitting the part.

John McEwen