Re: Spitfire Paint/DOT 5

To: John Reynolds <JFR843@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: Spitfire Paint/DOT 5
From: Brian Neuschwander <bwnbcg@sjm.infi.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 08:31:05 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
John Reynolds wrote:

> Some advice please.
>
> I have just finished repainting the cowl on my 1979 Spitfire to repair
> damage caused by leaking master cylinders. Since I have both master
> cylinders off of the car, I think this be a good time to go to DOT 5 fluid.

John--

About 4 years ago I made the conversion on my 79 Spit and 59 Bugeye.
Worked beautifully.  I would suggest you rehone and polish cyls with 600
grit paper, even new ones, since they don't come very finely polished
inside.  This will help the occaisional prevent "stickyness" some
report.

We flushed all lines with copeous amounts of alcohol and compressed
air.  Get the front calipers real good.  For the lines, plug off three,
and blow out one at a time.  Rotate the procedure around the car.

Best of luck.  No regrets here.  In fact, we used bled out Dot 5 to
shiny up the paint on the Bugeye (it was old paint).  Really works.
Gives it the wet look, for about two weeks. Never damages paint.

--
Brian W. Neuschwander
79 Spit