Re: Sandblasting

To: curry@wolfenet.com, dirty_howi@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: Sandblasting
From: Paulsv <Paulsv@aol.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 14:05:19 EST
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
In a message dated 98-01-14 13:13:11 EST, curry@wolfenet.com writes:

<<  Grab a few extra dollars, quid or whatever currency you use
 and buy a good Hood at the same time.  >>
The face shield of my mask gets so pitted, after 1/2 hour or so of use, that
you can hardly see out of it.  (I have a pressurized sandblaster.)  Polish it
with plastic compound on a cloth wheel on a bench grinder, and you can see
again.  Also, a good quality face mask (Canister type, not the paper ones) is
an absolute necessity.  The silica sand I use (and re-use) gets broken down to
a very fine dust, and when this fills your lungs, you can be in serious
trouble.  Finally, realize that you can make sheet metal look like the surface
of the ocean with over-enthusiastic sandblasting.  You don't have to turn the
pressure all the way up, you want to blast at a fairly fine angle, not head
on, and you don't, in most cases, haver to get the sheet metal perfectly
white.  You don't want to turn your fenders into tin foil!
Paul