Re: Manifold Gasket

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Manifold Gasket
From: Cregg Cowan <cowan@lax.erg.sri.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 08:39:35 -0800
Cc: suhring@lancnews.infi.net, cowan@lax.erg.sri.com
Hi Scott,

I've had lots of trouble with manifold gaskets on my 71 TR6.  I always used
new gaskets (as described by James Carpenter), with and without gasket
sealer, but had leaks on the the intake (audible whistle, misfire, etc.).
The problem was that the stock gasket didn't fit my intake manifold very
well---the gasket barely covered some of the intake ports.  Since it fit
the head so well, I didn't notice the poor fit on the intake side for the
first N-1 times I fixed it.

In desperation, I cut my own gasket from cheap gasket paper and have been
happily motoring for 6000 miles with no problems.

Good Luck,
Cregg Cowan
71 TR6 CC63192