Re: Manifold Gasket

To: suhring@lancnews.infi.net
Subject: Re: Manifold Gasket
From: James <james.carpenter@ukaea.org.uk>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 11:55:12 +0000
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Illegal-object: Syntax error in References: value found on gateway.ukaea.org.uk:References: <md5:F8FDFBE68030FB22EB982E397362CA05> ^-illegal end of message identification
When I did mine, I didnot use any sealer.  I did not
consider it, it is made of the same material as the
head gasget, and has to withstand very high teperatures.

If it's anything like my spifire's its asbestos, with
a metal atached by perfirations on the surface.  When
bolted on this microwelds with onto the cylinder head
and manifold.  Make shure all surfaces are flat, and
clean to stop leaks.  I would not use sealent, unless
you are shure it can stand a couple of thousand degrees
C.  Even though the cylinder head will no get that hot,
the gap which the exhaust gasses flow through will
expose the sealant to that temperature.
If you pick a non-ceramic one it will melt, and blow
out.  This will leave a gap where it was, and will be
like not tightening up the manifold properly, you will
probably experiance problems asociated with exsaust blowing
and leaking inlet manifolds after a couple of hunderd miles.

Are you using a new gasget, and not trying to get away
with re-using the old?

I have had problems with re-using things I regret, I
re-used the engin bearings and bigends because they were
almost new, I expect to have the engin apart again 3000
miles after a compleat overhall.

--
James Carpenter
Yellow '79 spit wired by a trained marmot