RE: Question re: sandblasting

To: "'Bobby Whitaker'" <bjbrew@mindspring.com>, "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Question re: sandblasting
From: David Moag <moag@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 17:52:14 -0800
Bobby,

I was an idiot. I went and bought a car that needed complete restoration,
yet I had no experience whatsoever working with cars. Oh well, I have
always enjoyed a challenge! But one of the first things I did was buy an
air compressor and a table top blasting cabinet. I wondered if I was being
smart or just trying to throw money at it to lower my level of fear. Two
months later, I can say that they were both excellent buys. The air
compressor especially. I still don't know how I'd be getting those pistons
out of my brake calipers w/out blowing air through to pop them out. I've
been pleasantly surprised to find the number of things that the air
compressor helps with. As far as blasting goes, once you've done it to some
parts and then seen how nice they look back on the car, I'm sure you'll be
happy with that expense as well.

Dave Moag
77 Spitfire
62 TR3B

On Tuesday, January 13, 1998 2:55 PM, Bobby Whitaker
[SMTP:bjbrew@mindspring.com] wrote:
> I am considering buying a portable sandblaster similar to the ones
available
> in the Harbor Freight catalog (www.harborfreight.com) to aid in the
> frame-off restoration of my '72 TR6.
>
> Considering that I would need to buy an air compressor as well as the
> sandblasting unit, is this additional cost and equipment worth it to be
able
> to sandblast the frame, suspension parts, the tub, etc. as opposed to
> stripping parts with a wire wheel attached to a drill?  Is sandblasting
that
> much better?
>
> In addition to sandblasting and spraying paint, what other uses can a
> compressor be put to in the complete restoration of a car?  Can you tell
I'm