RE: Just about to take the plunge . . .

To: "'Charley Maresca'" <maresca@abc.org>
Subject: RE: Just about to take the plunge . . .
From: Chris Prugh <prubrew@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 1998 04:43:38 -0800
Cc: "'Triumph List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Charley,

        You asked:

        >Phase
        >One will be the brakes and shocks: new shoes, pads, wheel cylinders,
        >rebuilt calipers.  Do I need new wheel bearings?

If you are going to pull all these other parts and replace them, I would also
do the
bearings.  The cost is minimal in comparison, and you will eliminate having to
go
back to them in two months.

        >Which shocks are recommended?

I am currently running the Spax adjustables on all four corners.  I would
recommend
starting them set at the 2nd or 3rd notch, test driving and adjusting from
there.
They get mighty stiff at anything above 7.

        >Are new brake lines recommended if the old ones look okay?

Whether they "look ok" is pretty impossible to tell.  Any real deterioration
will occur
from the insides of the lines, causing a weakening of the hose walls and
allowing
the hose to expand (not a good thing).  Once again, since you're there, replace
them.
The cost is minimal and you will be done with it.  They are readily available
from
all the better sources.

        >What else should I take care of while the car is up on stands?

I would check the condition of all your rubber at this time, being careful that
you
don't contract a case of shipwrights disease.  It would be wise to take these
things
one at a time.  This will allow you to enjoy the driving experience without the
prolonged down time and steady drain on the wallet.  Well, the drain on the
wallet
will still be there, just not as fast flowing as if you did all this at one
time.

Keep us posted

Chris Prugh
72 Spitfar