Re: Just about to take the plunge . . .

To: Charley Maresca <maresca@abc.org>
Subject: Re: Just about to take the plunge . . .
From: msecres@ibm.net
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 1998 23:51:27 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Charley Maresca wrote:

> Hi, listers.  I've had this 1970 Spit in the garage for about a year and a
> half, and I think it's time to get it ready for the road.  The PO put in some
> new floor pans, filled in some dings and then painted it fire engine red (of
> course).  It has been run up and down the driveway, out in the street a
> little, but nowhere else for probably ten years.  It seems to run pretty
> well.  I would like to make it my semi-regular driver (I actually prefer
> public transportation here in Washington, DC, my hometown), but I don't
> have the money or the patience or the skill to do a restoration.  Phase
> One will be the brakes and shocks: new shoes, pads, wheel cylinders,
> rebuilt calipers.  Do I need new wheel bearings?  Which shocks are
> recommended?  Are new brake lines recommended if the old ones look
> okay?  What else should I take care of while the car is up on stands?
> Thanks in advance.  If you like, you can e-mail me directly at
> FamilyMaresca@compuserve.com.

Charley ... you don't need all that much skill to do a rolling restoration;
just some
working knowledge, a good manual, patience and advice such as what you'll find
on this
list.  You don't need new wheel bearings unless they're making noise.  There
are lots of
shock options -- it just depends on what you want to spend.  Pick up a
catalogue and
browse.  As for brake lines, I wouldn't replace them in your case, but you
should check
their soundness, and it might not be a bad idea to arrest their corrosion with
a product
such as POR-15 or Corroless.  What else to do while the car is on stands?
Depends on
how ambitious you are.  I have a personal rule (by which I usually abide) to do
no more
than one project at a time -- this keeps me on the road, and the frustrations
to a
minimum.

--
Martin Secrest