Re: Heated Seats

To: Joe Curry <curry@wolfenet.com>
Subject: Re: Heated Seats
From: Odd Hedberg <odd@triumphclub.se>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 01:54:07 +0100
Cc: Brad Begin <bkb@vol.com>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Friends,
I have "always" had heated seats in my Spitfire. At least since
late the first autumn owning the car, back in 1976. I installed
loose seat covers with electric heater pads in them then, and have
never regretted it. It sure is a great accessory to have during
our cold winter months up here in Santa Country...
In conjunction with an electric preheater fitted to the engine it
makes both the engine and me feel good when starting on cold,
dark winter days. [The 220V mains fed 550W preheater warms up the
engine cooling water directly, it's a very common thing to have
installed over here in vehicles used during the winter months.]
The 12V seat heaters have never given me any problems with their
power surge. OK, I only use them off and on since they feel rather
hot to sit on after about 10-20 minutes of driving... I whole-
hartedly recommends anybody driving their LBC in the winter to
install these gems...
My Spitfire is fitted with an alternator, by the way.

I've also later bought a set of heater pads [for fitting inside
the seats] intended to be fitted when I eventually come around to
a total rebuild of the seats. I bought them from a SAAB dealer.
They were spare parts for either a SAAB 99 or a 900, and have a
built in thermostat in the seat part regulating the temperature
in both the seat cushion and the backrest pads. Should be an easy
task to fit them in the seat when finally redoing the seats.
Yours
/Odd

--

Odd Hedberg