Re: Powdercoating

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Powdercoating
From: WINDOWSEET <WINDOWSEET@aol.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 1998 18:28:01 EST
handling powercoated parts can be solved by fabricating holders or using the
high temperature plugs and support pieces Eastwood mentions in their catalog.
In my experience production powdercoating uses wire hangers to convey it
through the powder coat booth and then to the oven. These were drawer slides
for kitchen cabinets coated in the Grass America (Austrian Company) plant in
North Carolina. I remember on a tour of the powdercoating line that the part
could be lifted off the line without putting finger prints in the powder and
during the curing the material flowed together. They were using a white and
almond color epoxy based powder with good abrasion resistance since these were
moving parts. The powder was initially imported from Austria but was
eventually sourced from Glidden paints.

I think the Eastwood system will be a boon to the hobbyist for small
manageable parts. After all, those of us who ARE married, Barry, could buy a
used range cheap and rig up a proper rack for parts that would fit in the
oven.

I have heard pros and cons on powder coated parts. A friend says that the
coating holds together while the part under it rusts away....especially on
trailer hitches. He's replaced hitches where the coating came off in large
sections but the rust had traveled under the coating. Anyone had experience
with this problem.

Greg Wolf
1970 GT6+ "Ian"
Ann Arbor, Michigan