Re: TR-4A Horn actuator question

To: John Cowan <jfcowan@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: TR-4A Horn actuator question
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 1998 11:19:16 -0800 (PST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
>   The PO of my '66 TR-4A put on an aftermarket steering wheel and I'm
> trying to revive the defunct horn.  There's a two inch cylindrical axial
> hole in the steering column, about 3/16 ' in diameter, a long spring that
> goes into the hole, a plastic collar on top of the spring and then a little
> brass button attached to the wire that goes to the horn actuator, a simple
> self-contained switch (the other switch wire is attached to the steering
> column from whence it is grounded by a wire from the steering box).

I, too, have an aftermarket steering wheel.  The horn button is 'stuck'
(ie, the push goes back & forth, but the horn is always on)

I believe my problem is a frayed wire shorting to ground.  Right now the
horns are disconnected.

I'd like to convert to a horn relay system, to avoid having all those amps
going through the bits of brass right in front of my hands.  Has anyone
got a simple way of installing a relay? (ie, donor car/parts, which purple
wire goeth where, etc)

>   The problem is that nothing will stay in place.  There must be some kind
> of missing grommet that holds the spring, collar and brass button in place.

If it's like mine, I *think* that the spring is supposed to hold the brass
button into the horn push.  You may want to try 'unwinding' the spring a
bit to expand the coils.

or, put a dab of silicone on the spring and let it glue itself to the
push.  Be careful that you don't isolate the spring, I bet it's got to
complete the horn circuit somehow...

BTW, how does one identify a steering wheel?  Mine is smaller-diameter,
with leather grip and 3 aluminum spokes.  It is mounted onto a hub by a
dozen or so bolts.

-Malcolm