Re: Fan extension bolt

To: "Nick" <Nickbk@worldnet.att.net>, "Trevor Jordan" <tjordan@pa.ausom.net.au>, "Linda Long (IM)" <LLong@kollmorgen.com>, <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Fan extension bolt
From: "The Browns" <thebrown@scci.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 1998 10:31:05 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
>> A dumb question: is the fan extension still needed if the mechanical fan
>> has been removed?  It looks to me as if the fan extension also secures
>the
>> pulley.
>>
>> Trevor Jordan
>> 74 TR6 CF29281U
>>

>Trevor-
>No such thing as a dumb question...but answers...that's a whole 'nother
>ball game
>
>Basically, no, you do not need the extension to the pulley. HOWEVER, there
>a several caveats.
> 1- The extension does hold the pulley on the crank
> 2- The extension is "pinned" to the pulley with 2 dowels.
> 3- The sheer mass of the extension is taken into account when the
>"balance"
>                 of the bottom end is done. The mass isn't that much, and
>it is concentrated
>                 almost on the centerline of the crank, but the fact that
>it extends beyond                                    the end of the crank
>tends to cancel out some of the " torsional" vibrations
>                                in the rotating masses.
>
>Now with that all said and done, I have machined spacers for the front
>pulley that have worked satisfactorily for me. You should try to make the
>spacer at least 3/4" thick and approx 3" in diameter. The back of it will
>have to be contoured as the original, and should also have the pins/holes
>installed. A careful balance job afterwards has worked for me and allowed
>that extra 2"-3" or so of distance between radiator and extension to be
>better utilized.
>
>Just can't leave it alone...
>       Nick in Nor Cal

Trevor,

I took and shortened my extension by 3 1/4" on a lathe.  I cut off each
flange (2) and then welded them together.  The result was a perfect fit.  I
also shortened the bolt and rethreaded it.  Works good, giving me plenty of
room for the electric fan to go in place of the old mechanical fan.

D. Brown
TR4
Stag