Re: Spitfire coils - superfluous information

To: cb1500@erols.com
Subject: Re: Spitfire coils - superfluous information
From: DANMAS <DANMAS@aol.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 1998 19:50:06 EST
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
In a message dated 97-12-31 17:20:06 EST, cb1500@erols.com writes:

> What you say about internal "resistance" vs. external "resistor" makes
>  sense. My next question: Even though they operate differently, are both
>  systems meant to keep the coil from overheating when the engine is not
>  running, and with the ignition switch in the "ON" position?

Charlie,

I would not think so. Under running conditions, the ballasted coil would pull
roughly the same current as a non-ballasted coil, in order to provide the same
spark energy. It would be approximately the same as if you left the key on in
an older 6 volt automobile. Of course, there are so many variables involved,
it would be difficult to give an absolute answer.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74