Re: Mind Boggling problem on an '80 spit...

To: McCoy Reed <mccoy@tarpit.uark.edu>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Mind Boggling problem on an '80 spit...
From: Brian Harper <brian@ati.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 1998 20:08:12 -0800
At 11:18 AM 1/6/98 -0600, McCoy Reed wrote:
>The combination of all this information leads me to think that the problem
>resided in the differential.  I would appreciate any help narrowing down
>this seemingly strange problem.  Any information is appreciated, and
>thanks in advance for your assistance.

It indicates that your car is equipped with a differential. I wouldn't be
concerned unless you thought it was a limited slip, 'cause apparently it's
not. Go find a diagram of a diff and check out how they go together. The
wheels are coupled through gears in the center of the ring gear. Thry this:
Put the car in neutral and spin a wheels. The other wheel thurns the other
way, right? Have someone stop the other wheel. Now the prop shaft turns. If
the prop shaft is driving the diff and one wheel is slowed (such as in a
turn) the other wheel turns a little faster, which is exactly what you need.

It sounds way more complex to explain it than it really is.

Brian Harper