Sanity check (was Re: TR4 engine?)

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Sanity check (was Re: TR4 engine?)
From: ArthurK101 <ArthurK101@AOL.COM>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 1998 23:03:48 EST
Folks,  in my role as a VTR vehicle consultant, I received this question:

"Can you tell me: is it true that the TR4 engine was also used in a farm
tractor - a
 Massey-Ferguson as I recall?"

This was the answer I sent back to him:
> Rick, there has been an interesting thread on this recently on the "triumph
> list".  It appears that the TR2/3/4 wetliner 4 cylinder engine is a relative
> of the M-F tractor engine.  The Standard company at one time was building
> both engines.  But the engines were not identical.  There were significant
> differences internally as well as in external appearance.  This is one of
the
> ongoing myths which Triumph folks encounter.  Hope that helps.

Is that the gist of what the recent thread concluded?  If not, please let me
know so I can set the record straight.   Thanks.  Cheers.

Art Kelly