RE: moving a car in tight spaces....

To: mood@erols.com
Subject: RE: moving a car in tight spaces....
From: "Jack I. Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 1998 12:36:00 -0500
Cc: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
>Is there a way to "wedge it in" so to speak across the
>back?  I seem to remember someone describing moving the car using floor
>jacks, but this seems a little dangerous to me although cheaper than
>buying the car dolly things from Moss.  Does anyone remember this
>procedure and have any comments?  Thanks.

Jon,

Again this year, I have parked my TR3 broadside in the back of my garage for
the winter.  I pull it in to the corner at about a 45 degree angle, lift the
rear using a floor jack under the differential, remove one rear wheel to
allow for free movement of the floor jack and enlist my (105 pound) wife to
help slide it home, as the garage floor is pitched sightly down to the door
and we have to push the TR uphill to the back of the garage.

IMHO this is not very dangerous or risky, if you have a resonably smooth
floor and can find solid points on the car which can be used to push.  My
floor has trowel marks in the concrete, it so it can be a little bit of a
struggle, but not too bad.  We push both the floor jack and car at the same
time.  Also, we pick the car up just enough for the tire to clear the floor.

Keep an eye on the angle of the front wheels and the clearance from the walls.
The first time we did this it took over two hours or gunting sweating and
swearing.  This year it took less than 15 minutes.

By moving the car with the floor jack handle ahead or behind the rear axle
you can locate the car in the winter parking spot.  When you try it, you
will realize what I mean.

BTW - I always use a good floor jack 2 1/2 ton w/steel wheels and piece of
foam pipe insulation on my jack handle to keep it from damaging the paint at
the bottom of the body panels on my TR3.

Good luck and take your time.

Jack Brooks
TS69032L