More Idiots

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: More Idiots
From: pearesto@totcon.com (pearesto)
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 1998 01:39:01 -0800
I have been contemplating the stupidest thing that I done.  There has been
so much that it is hard to pick.  How about removing the hood release cable
and then closing the hood on the TR7 with the fresh air intake in place.
Lots more where that came from.  BUT the worst I think was the TR7 valve
adjustment episode.  I had removed the cam sprocket to re-adjust an
incompetent machine shops attempt.  My valves rattled bad.  After measuring
the gap, removing the chain and sprocket and cam, it began to rain.  I
removed the shims and closed the hood.  While measuring the shims I was
asked by someone what I was doing.  I proceeded to tell them about the
machine shop and the clattering valves.  Then I was going to let him listen
for himself.  Somehow I had forgotten that the cam and shims were on the
bench.  Needless to say it did not start.  I broke the timing cover, chain,
lower sprocket and both chain guides.  Not to mention the bent valves.

Well at least I knew where not to bring the head for the second valve job.
It went in and no clattering this time.  Hell of a way to adjust valves
though.

John