Re: More Idiots

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: More Idiots
From: Vito Pacione <vito@argohouston.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Jan 1998 23:24:46 -0600
Here goes - this one really brought back memories. It's funny now, but...

When I was in high school, we were able to attend a special off site auto
mechanics half day class twice a week. Well, when I had gotten through half
of the curriculum, I thought I could work on any thing on a car. (Being a
teenager helps fuel this line of thought!). After all hadn't I rebuilt a
carburator (never worked after the rebuild, but I'm sure that was a
fluke!)? Anyway, my friends' parents station wagon was making tapping type
noises when it ran (just like lifters out of adjustment). I offered to fix
this for my friend and make a few brownie points with his parents. It's
probably a good time to admit that nowhere so far in the course curiculum
had we gotten anywhere near adjusting valves. But what the heck, I had the
book and I could fix anything anyway!

He decided to bring it over a few hours before his dinner (I wouldn't take
someone like me too long to do a small job like that!). Well, when I got
done with his dad's station wagon, (things had gone from bad to worse and
he was already an hour late for dinner) it barely ran and huffed aand
chugged so bad, I didn't think he would ever make it back to his house only
about a mile away. As it turned out, I had taken out three of his cylinders
and made the rest barely work. If his dad hadn't gotten it to his mechanic
the very next day, he would have done some permanent damage. By the way, it
turns out that there was something making the noise in his automatic
transmission. It wasn't even the lifters! His dad never really spoke to me
very much after that.

Then there was the time I was in a hurry to get my Jensen Healey off the
car trailer at my storage space. The chain to lower it was not long enough,
so I decided to line it up perfectly straight and let it rip down the
center of the aisle between two buildings. Well halfway down the wheels
turned and the car rammed (it's amazing how much speed a car can pick up
coming off a trailer) into one of the buildings taking out a gutter and
putting a dent into a perfect rust free rear fender.