Re: Idiot Award

To: "fred thomas" <vafred@erols.com>
Subject: Re: Idiot Award
From: "George P. Richardson" <gprtech@frontiernet.net>
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 1998 17:44:45 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Ok, Ok, I've read enough, I'll kick in with one.

This past spring, I was getting ready to roll out the TR3 from the garage. I
like to work outside.

Now my garage is at the top of a long slope downward, about 400ft at least.
I'd never worried about this in the past, because one of the front calipers
had frozen up against the rotor. The wheel was locked solid.

In fact, it made it so tough to move the car that I decided to fix it.

Afterwards I tied a rope to the rear of the frame of the car threw it over
the center beam of the garage, and started to push the car out.

Started, because as soon as I leaned on the car, it left. I grabbed the rope
going over the beam with my arms & legs, which pulled me up until I hit my
head and shoulders against it.

The car stopped, and I would just have a minor lump. The problem was, here I
was hanging on for dear life, both arms & legs just to hold on. I couldn't
DO anything except yell for help.

After five minutes or so, my wife finally realized that something was going
on outside. She took a look, thought I might need help, and told my son to
go out and help. He took about 10 minutes to get ready and come outside.

He then put a set of chocks under the wheels, and I could let go. I'd been
hanging on for almost 20 minutes.

My son remembers it as the only time he's actually seen me screw up. All the
other times, nobody knows it.
George Richardson
'57 TR3, TS15559L
(getting ready to paint - and now on the web!)
http://www.merlingroupinc.com/tr3.htm