Fuses [was Confuse about fuses!]

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Fuses [was Confuse about fuses!]
From: ingate@shiseis.com (Shane F. Ingate)
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 98 14:18:56 PST
Cc: DANMAS@aol.com, harris88@rochester.infi.net, tomomalley@hey.net
Bob Harris wrote:
        > I have my own theory as to why many LBC's wireing burn up. People see
        > 35 amp on the Lucas fuse and replace with an american(Buss) 35 amp
        > fuse.  If you look at a Lucas 35 amp fuse it says 17 amp continous...

Now I'm confused!  Could Dan masters or Tom O'Malley please help out
with this one?  Bob, IMHO, the Lucas 35-amp and BUSS 35-amp fuses *should*
be equivalent.  A 35-amp *continuous* is one helluva fuse, and will probably
not be found in a GBC-style fuse (as is the BUSS).  Such fuses are usually
screwed into terminals to protect ignitions systems, etc, and they are
enormous!

I am sure there are a lot of people out there (like me) running
non-Lucas 35-amp labeled fuses and perhaps we should'nt!

What sort of fuse should we use?  Why dont fuse manufacturers label
their product as being for peak or continuous ampage?  Does this mean all
cars use fuses that are not rated for continuous ampage, or is that a
Triumph/Lucas glitch?

Helllppp!!.

        Shane Ingate about to blow a fuse in San Diego