Re: Idiot of Years Past

To: Scions of Stanpart <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Idiot of Years Past
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 1998 09:37:26 -0500 (EST)
On Fri, 2 Jan 1998, fred thomas wrote:

> ... WOW look at that Model A come down the hill by it's
> self with no driver, two rear fenders, drivers door, front cowl, drivers
> running board, one driveway post , two mail boxes, four paper boxes, two
> kids bikes, in the ditch and against the telephone pole, $ 6500.00
> damage, three more years to restore it again, just because I did not
> pull-up on the emergency brake....

Wow, reminds me of the time way back in high school, around 1970, when a
friend and I decided to tow my already partially stripped-down 948 Herald
saloon to his uncle's garage to start some major disassembly/cutting up
stuff, etc., on it. Unfortunately, our idea of towing was to simply
string a rope behind my mom's Country Squire to the driverless Herald.
This worked very well for about a mile, after which things loosened up a
lot. The Herald started wandering all over the road. I don't know how we
managed not to have it hit any oncoming traffic, except that it finally
wandered off the right side of the road into a mailbox. Amazingly, and
due mostly to the fact that the front valance was already off, there was
no real sheet metal or other damage to speak of, but it did cost me a new
mailbox and post for the, well, disturbed owner of same.

Meanwhile, we somehow got the car pulled back to my house, where it
remained for several years until I got the urge to try to put it all back
together again (which I'm still doing, of course, nearly 25 years later).
Must have been prophetic -- apparently the car knew it would be "meeting
its doom" otherwise and staged its own suicide attempt to gain some
attention. And it worked!

--Andy