Re: Idiot of The Year

To: fred thomas <vafred@erols.com>
Subject: Re: Idiot of The Year
From: Rick deOlazarra <cattail@slip.net>
Date: Fri, 02 Jan 1998 06:26:55 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
fred thomas wrote:

> Why do you people on the list have to bring-up old memories, here goes
> Spent 5 years doing a frame-up on a 31 Model-A, needed to install fuel
> and adjust carb, push her out of my garage and against my wifes car
> sitting in the driveway, start-up adjust carb sounds great, lets go for a
> drive, back the wifes car down the drive around the culdasac pull up in
> front of my house, WOW look at that Model A come down the hill by it's
> self with no driver, two rear fenders, drivers door, front cowl, drivers
> running board, one driveway post , two mail boxes, four paper boxes, two
> kids bikes, in the ditch and against the telephone pole, $ 6500.00
> damage, three more years to restore it again, just because I did not
> pull-up on the emergency brake, now time wise and money wise I think this
> is going to be hard to top, but it is a award I would rather not have.
> The "A" runs just great now but the owner still has a hole through his
> temple about the size a 38 would make.

  It's experiences like yours that validate the truism of the
philosophical attitude that things "could always be worse"; an
attitude that's kept me from going over the edge more than once..
I'll remember your Model A the next time I rebuild my clutch and
tranny, put it all back together, and notice, with cold horror,
the brand new throw-out bearing hidden under a grease rag on the
workbench...

Rick, '74 Spit