Re: Brake MastCyl Tipping Valve Nut

To: dmbrock@julian.uwo.ca, Rikrock@aol.com
Subject: Re: Brake MastCyl Tipping Valve Nut
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 1997 11:29:23 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
In a message dated 97-06-28 03:05:10 EDT, dmbrock@julian.uwo.ca (David M
Brock) writes:

> I looked for the "1/2" Hex Socket" at two local places, and found nothing.
>  Having already tried the hex head bolt with vise grips, and succeeded in
>  stripping two bolts.  (There's nothing to grab onto at the thread end, so
>  the vice grips just slipped)

Dave:

I've tried this trick a few times myself. What I usually do is grind flat
spots on two sides of the bolt with a bench grinder. This gives the vise
grips something to hang on to. Sometimes, but not often, I can get by with an
open end wrench to fit the flats, depending on just how stubborn the hex bolt
is.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74