Re: TR4 Question (Brake Calipers)

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR4 Question (Brake Calipers)
From: Chip Old <fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 23:33:39 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 26 Jun 1997 ArthurK101@aol.com wrote:

> Some background info on the calipers themselves.  The TR4 calipers are the
> same dimensions etc. as those on the TR3's.  The original TR3 calipers were
> one piece.  In '59, they changed to the "split" calipers (called "B" type)
> for ease of service and manufacture.  These were carried thru to TR4
> Commission #'s CT4388 (disc) and CT4390 (wires).  Then the single piece "16P"
> type caliper (which had been used on  the TR3B's) was fitted.  I think that
> later TR models (thru TR6) continued to use the 16P calipers but had a servo
> added to the system, but that is really not germane to your  problem.

That "which had been used on the TR3B's" is misleading, but a common
misconception.  The TR3B went into production several months AFTER TR4
production began.  I don't have the data in front of me, but as I recall
the switch to the 16P caliper on the TR4 and the introduction of the TR3B
occurred at about the same time.

Chip Old                      1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland            1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO (daily driver)
fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us

If cars had evolved as fast as computers have, by now they'd cost a
quarter, run for a year on a half-gallon of gas, and explode once a day.