TR - Hostility toward Miatas: Many of us don't get it.

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR - Hostility toward Miatas: Many of us don't get it.
From: Odd Hedberg <odd@triumphclub.se>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 1997 11:58:36 +0200
Cc: odd@triumphclub.se
Hi friends,

John Cowan wrote:
...snip...
> 1. I haven't yet driven a Miata, only looked one over thoroughly.

Well, I have (The younger brother of a neighbour is employed by the
Swedish importer of Mazda, Suzuki et al. They also used to import
Rover, Jaguar, RR etc but now that's operated in a separate company.
He also once showed up in a Suzuki Cappucino, WHOAW what a toy! Like
a go-cart with a body!) and my impression was it was a very nice car,
indeed. Being brand new it felt much more solid compared to the 25+
years old lbc I'm used to of course. Compared with the MGF; they both
felt nice, tight and MODERN. What they lacked was the FEEL and maturity
becoming of age gives a car that survives the first ten-twenty years.
So I think we all should wait for say 10 years before judging the
modern roadsters - only then we know who survived and became classics.

>    That said, I do not understand the hostility toward Miatas on
> british cars lists.

Neither do I. As I said we all have to wait and see...

>    So, chill out, I say, and give the little M-car some slack.
> Who knows, your son or daughter may buy one some day.
>   John

I agree. Let's hope the kids will have as much fun with the cars of
their generation as we've had with the cars of ours (or is it of
our parents generation?). Born in '55 I think I've seen both sides
of the coin. And I must admit the modern cars do have advantages our
older love and joy's don't have and vice versa. Only those with an
open mind who live will know what present day car will become the
classic of tomorrow.

And for those of You who think I've now been swearing in church -
why did You read this far? To increase Your blood pressure?

Yours
Odd Hedberg

not speaking anyones opinion but my own.

--
Odd Hedberg
Pomonagatan 4           International liaison secretary,