Re: General: wire wheel refurbishing

To: morelli@mickey.jsc.nasa.gov
Subject: Re: General: wire wheel refurbishing
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 00:17:32 -0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

>  I will also need the splined hubs and knock-offs.  I have contacted the
big
> three (TRF, Moss, VB) and found that it would not be price efficient (oops
> that is inefficient!) to bring these back to life (i.e., refurbish ~ buy
new).
>   What I was wondering is if any of you netters have a recommendation for
an
> inexpensive wire wheel parts place?  Used parts perhaps?  It would be nice
> save these wheels, but then again.....

If the splines are worn - forget it.  I went through this about 3 or 4 years
ago.  After much research (including shipping a wheel to California - where
they recommended trashing them because the spline were slightly worn), I
waited for the sale at TRF and bought a set of Dayton wire wheels.  IMO
-These are better than the ones built in the far east and the sale price was
only about $15 more per wheel than those.  I have been completely satisified.

 Also include the price of the hubs and knockoffs - not cheap. But as my wife
said "So what's the big deal, they look exactly like the old ones did when
they were new."
Which is exactly what I wanted to hear. :-)

If you do go with the wire wheels see my article on wire wheels at
www.vtr.com.  AND -commercial - VTR membership is a good thing, wire wheels
or no.

Art Kelly '64TR4 CT33118L (original owner)

P.S. I also agree with Tom Tweed, 72 spokes for a TR6. See Piggott's book.
amk