General: wire wheel refurbishing

To: "'Triumphs'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: General: wire wheel refurbishing
From: "M. V. Morelli" <morelli@mickey.jsc.nasa.gov>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 15:27:48 -0600
Hi folks,

Through some great fortune I have come into the possession of 4 rustic 15", 60
spoke (painted - or what's left of it, not chromed) wire wheels.  The owner
thought they were from a TR4 he owned 25 years ago.  My plan is to refurbish
them and then mount them on my TR6.  They are not in very good shape and might
not even be salvageable, but hey the price was right -- FREE.  It looks like
most (so maybe all) the spokes will need to be replaced.  I will also need the
splined hubs and knock-offs.  I have contacted the big three (TRF, Moss, VB)
and found that it would not be price efficient (oops that is inefficient!) to
bring these back to life (i.e., refurbish ~ buy new).  What I was wondering is
if any of you netters have a recommendation for an inexpensive wire wheel parts
place?  Used parts perhaps?  It would be nice to save these wheels, but then
again.....

Thanks for your comments.

Mike Morelli
TR6 daily driver