FW: Re: The Beer Thread

To: triumphs
Subject: FW: Re: The Beer Thread
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 00:00:07 -0700 (MST)
[BOUNCE triumphs@Autox.Team.Net:     Admin request of type /\bsubscribe\b/i at
line 8]

     Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 15:02:56 -0500
     From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
     Subject: Re: The Beer Thread

> If so,all I can say in my defence is hands up,any of you who can honestly
> admit that you have attended any triumph meeting,anywhere around this round
> world,where people talk exclusively about Triumph cars? If so,then you are
> sad people indeed!

  But this makes one assumption that isn't true for a whole lot
of other people. And that is that this mailing list is really the
only mailing list they subscribe to.

  At a Triumphs meeting, you are doing one thing basically,
talking about Triumphs. That gets boring after 48 hours, so
of course other topics come up, and that's great.

  In the same way, if the only mailing list you subscribe to on
the whole internet is Triumphs, then chatting is great because
you can get tired of just cars.

  However, obviously MJB reads or at least skims every list he
hosts. I myself am signed on to three of them, as well as at
least a dozen other lists on the internet, some of which the
traffic compares to triumphs.

  So what we see is not 30 messages a day, 10 about things
that really matter, and a nice 20 or so of miscellaneous to
pass the day and other smalltalk.

  My personal statistic is about 250 messages a day. 10 about
triumphs, 20 about things I don't care about. 10 about MGs,
20 I don't care about. 5 on british cars, 10 I don't care
about. 20 on my local hockey team the Senators, 5 I don't
care about (that list is well-focused)...

  When you do the math that way, guys like myself, likely
MJB, and a good chunk of people out there end up wading through
like 200 messages a day that are totally uninteresting, just
to find the ones that matter.

  This is something that cannot be overstressed. These lists
are not chat groups. If you feel the need to chat, and we all
do, chat somewhere else. To assume that all many-hundred people
on the list want to chat about the same non-LBC topic you
feel like chatting about is very very inconsiderate.

--
 /       Trevor Boicey          1992 Celica GT    1975 MG Midget    /