Vitesse Trans Am Car

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Vitesse Trans Am Car
From: vitesse@juno.com (Hugh R McAleer)
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 1997 23:44:52 EST
RE: the MCC segment on the Trans Am cars that showed a Vitesse Trans Am
car.

That car is owned by Ralph Thomas of Highlands NC.  He actually has two
of them - BOTH of them.  There were two factory backed Trans Am  cars.  A
few years ago I wrote an article about the cars in our club newsletter
and sent a copy to Ralph, who replied with some great additional info on
the cars.  a few of the finer points about the cars I do remember is that
the trans is a Jap ( Datsun? Toyota? ) 5 speed. The engine is not the
original 1600 or 2 litre...It has now and was raced with the
2.5....reason being that the sanctioning bodies didn't know what the cars
were supposed to have so they it go the way that Triumph presented
it...namely with the 2.5 six.

Sorry folks, but at the moment my memory banks are empty, so I can't
recall who drove which one when they were racing, nor much else about the
cars.  I do know that Ric Cline drove one of them, his son is a member of
our club and verified that for me.

I've seen both cars both on the tack and up close in the pits and at
Atlanta Imported Auto Parts where the cars are prepared.

I'll see if I can dig up some more info on them.
Hugh R. McAleer
Jonesboro, GA
'68 TR 250,
'71 Stag '73 Stag