Re: positive to negative ground conversion

Subject: Re: positive to negative ground conversion
From: Egil Kvaleberg <egilk@sn.no>
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 1997 04:30:58 GMT
Apparently-to: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Newsgroups: mail.triumphs
On 28 mar 1997, DANMAS@aol.com wrote:

> As I see it, the following changes will need to be made:
>
> 1) replace the generator/control box with an alternator

No. Just "flash"[1] the generator, and you'll be fine.

> 2) reverse the ammeter leads

Yes.

> 3) swap the ignition coil, or reverse the leads

Somewhat surprisingly, yes.

> 4) swap the battery leads

Obviously!

> 5) reverse the leads to the interior heater

No.

> 6) change the starter

No. The starter motor nor other major electric motors in you car has a
permanent magnet. So they will run in the same direction regardless of
polarity.

> b) The windshield wiper motor converts rotary motion to linear motion, so the
> direction of rotation is of no concern.

Again, it will run the same direction.

Your other assumptions re. bi-metal devices etc. are correct.

Various extra equipment may cause problems, esp. radios, electronic
gadgets of various sorts.

Egil

[1] I.e. apply the new battery voltage to it for a second.
--
Email: egilk@sn.no  Voice: +47 22523641, 92022780 Fax: +47 22525899
Snail: Egil Kvaleberg, Husebybakken 14A, 0379 Oslo, Norway