positive to negative ground conversion

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: positive to negative ground conversion
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 1997 17:20:17 -0500 (EST)
Fellow Listers:

Has anyone on this list converted a TR2, TR3, or TR4 from positive ground to
negative ground?

I have been looking into this, and have arrived at some conclusions, but I
would like help from someone who has "been there, done that".

As I see it, the following changes will need to be made:

1) replace the generator/control box with an alternator

2) reverse the ammeter leads

3) swap the ignition coil, or reverse the leads

4) swap the battery leads

5) reverse the leads to the interior heater

6) change the starter

As far as I can see, nothing else needs to be done, based on the following
rationale:

a) lights, turn signals, and horns are not polarity sensitive (I have
actually tested horns).

b) The windshield wiper motor converts rotary motion to linear motion, so the
direction of rotation is of no concern.

c) the voltage regulator for the gauges, and the turn signal flasher are
bi-metal strip/thermal devices, so they are not polarity sensitive.

d) the fuel and water temperature gauges are, I think, bi-metal strip/thermal
devices, so polarity is of no concern.

e) relays are insensitive to polarity.

Can anyone shed some light on this, correcting me where I am off base? I am
particularly interested in the gauges, and the starter swap, but all input
will be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN