Re: TRUE maximum velocities (True Lies?)

To: matthews@sj.bigger.net
Subject: Re: TRUE maximum velocities (True Lies?)
From: Nolan Penney <npenney@erols.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 19:17:28 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
>OK, as long as were talking bikes.....
>Back when I was 15 I had a Kawasaki 500 triple two-stroke.
>One morning on the way to work I took up the challenge at the light.
>The other guy backed off at about 100mph, but I decided to see what
>she'd do. Redline in top gear should have been about 140mph, but I'm
>not sure because I had the spedo disconnected at the time. Then, the
>engine side seal gave out and my right hand piston siezed instantly.
>Must have left about 400 yards of rubber on the road before it broke
>free a second later. I just kept riding the rest of the way to work. I
>took half the piston out of the exhaust and the other half from the
>cylinder with a hammer. Never was able to find a suitable crankshaft
>and ended up scraping the bike. It was fun, but I wouldn't try it
>again;-)

Good bike!
Used to have a tripple myself.  750H2C Special Edition.  You should have
been able to pull up close to that 140 mark.  I had mine up to 160mph
according to the speedo several times.  Finally sold it when I started
think it was to slow.  Realized I was going to die soon of terminal
stupity on my part.  Kinda miss that brutal machine.

About our Triumphs top speeds.  I got an old convertable Beetle of mine
up to 99 mph once according to it's speedo.  So I'd say we should all
claim to be at least able to outrun a Beetle. <g>