Re: TRUE maximum velocities (True Lies?)

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, John Suchak <maxx@cybermax.net>
Subject: Re: TRUE maximum velocities (True Lies?)
From: matthews@sj.bigger.net
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 1997 09:55:58 +1100
John Suchak wrote:

> Zink wrote:
>
> > Tom,
> > While you were on your way to 130mph, do you remember the feeling of
> > utter fearlessness you had and then that feeling of "what the Hell am I
> > doing"  Just about the time a small cross wind moved you across the
> > lane?
snip

OK, as long as were talking bikes.....
Back when I was 15 I had a Kawasaki 500 triple two-stroke.
One morning on the way to work I took up the challenge at the light. The
other guy backed off at about 100mph, but I decided to see what she'd
do. Redline in top gear should have been about 140mph, but I'm not sure
because I had the spedo disconnected at the time. Then, the engine side
seal gave out and my right hand piston siezed instantly. Must have left
about 400 yards of rubber on the road before it broke free a second
later. I just kept riding the rest of the way to work. I took half the
piston out of the exhaust and the other half from the cylinder with a
hammer. Never was able to find a suitable crankshaft and ended up
scraping the bike. It was fun, but I wouldn't try it again;-)

Cheers,

John Matthews
'61 & '65 Heralds
and a slow little '66 Honda 90cc