Re: TRUE maximum velocities (True Lies?)

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TRUE maximum velocities (True Lies?)
From: John Suchak <maxx@cybermax.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 1997 09:12:46 -0500
Zink wrote:

> Tom,
> While you were on your way to 130mph, do you remember the feeling of
> utter fearlessness you had and then that feeling of "what the Hell am I
> doing"  Just about the time a small cross wind moved you across the
> lane?

Picture, if you will, a wide open NJ Turnpike at around 2:00 AM.  I'm on
my '86 Suzuki GSXR-750R, it seems like an excellent opportunity to "blow
the carbon out of 'er"..  (Did any of *your* dad's ever implant this bit
of automotive arcana in your mind?  Take it out and "blow out the
carbon"?!?!?)

Anyway, I slap it down to third and punch it, winding hard through the
gears, amazed at how smooth it all was at over a buck forty!  Far off in
the distance I see taillights, and I'm thinking I have all sorts of time
before I have to pass the guy, no problems...

Wrong.

Before I had any idea what was happening, I'm like five feet (okay,
maybe it was a little more, but NOT MUCH!!) behind the TRUCK that was
just way far away only two short seconds ago...   I had no idea how
quickly I was covering ground!  Missed him by about an inch.  Scariest
F***ing thing I've ever done.

Sold the bike a couple of months later.  Call me a wimp, but trucks are
just too hard, and pavement too abrasive.  I'd much rather spend the day
crossed up and sideways in the Spit!

John