Re: TRUE maximum velocities (True Lies?)

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TRUE maximum velocities (True Lies?)
From: Tom Tweed <ak627@dayton.wright.edu>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 21:29:46 -0500
Shane I. noted that

 >Leon,(ex-Boy Racer) wrote:
 >
 >        >Does anyone else out there have any
 >        >more TRUE figures of maximum velocities obtained in their Triumphs?

[snip]

and as for the TRUE part, it's hard to say, but back when I was young
and foolish and immortal, I had my '74 T-150 V in good tune one warm
summer night in '78 or '79, and decided to twist on some throttle.
The speedo was labeled up to 150 mph, and in an amazingly short dis-
tance, maybe 1/2 mile or a little more, I was approaching 130, the
telephone poles were going past like a picket fence, I thought, tho
I could hardly see them, as the wind was making my eyes water so much.
I had pulled the headlamp up a bit to see farther, and was hanging on
in a crouch, with my head down just behind the headlamp, and the wind
noise almost drowned out the roar of the 3-cyl; at this point, it
occurred to me that a rabbit running out in front of me would likely
turn me into a very long red streak on the pavement, so I backed down
the throttle, held on, and sat up a little, and soon was back down to
legal speed. What was most amazing, to me, was that I still had some
throttle left - with the undersize sprocket on the rear, the engine
was not yet at red-line, even at that speed.

And as much as I like the big twin engines, the triple was much smoother-
running, no vibrating handle-bars at 4-5,000 rpm.  Now you know why
I wanted another one, even if it needs re-assembly !

Best regards,
Tom Tweed
SW Ohio
'72 Trident 750cc  basket case (6,000 miles from new)

p.s. the New Triumphs are in the M.C. dealers, all water-cooled triples,
     and in-line 4s, 750cc on up to 1180;  69 h.p. on up to 145 !
      Bring your wallet though, they start around $8,000., another
     reason I wanted to buy the `kit' version of an old original.