Re: Buying a parts car?

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, DUHART JOHN <duhart@symbol.com>
Subject: Re: Buying a parts car?
From: matthews@sj.bigger.net
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 16:48:45 +1100
DUHART JOHN wrote:

> Hey All,
>
>         OK, I might be buying a parts car this weekend.  What is the DMV
> process?  I live in NY.  Do you actually transfer title (I would think
> so).  If I have no intention of getting the car registered (it is in
> boxes), but what does the state require me to do.
>
>         If I don't register it today, but decide in a few years to rebuild it
> with the parts that are left over (as may have happened to some of you
> out there) how do I prove it is mine?
>
> Thanks,
> JHD IV

John,

Excelent move buying a parts car!!
I am not familiar with the New York state laws, but I think what you
"should" do will depend mostly on what the previous owner did. If he or
she has all the papers, has had the car listed as non-operational, and
has a current title, than by all means transfer the title to your name.
IMS we have a thing called a non-opp registration that keeps the file
current at the DMV. It costs $5-/yr, and makes getting the car
registered once it's running very easy. My '61 was like this.

If however, it's like most basket cases, the current owner has never
transfered the title into his/her name. If they do have any paperwork it
will probally be so old that it's fallen off the dmv's computer, and you
will have to go through a long drawn out process of title searches,
inspections, and more fees than you want to think about.

If that's the case just get a bill of sale from the PO, and file it
away. As has been suggested by another list member, use the local AAA
office to get information about the laws before you contact the DMV.
Once you start filing forms with them you'll never get out of it until
they are happy.

Good luck,

John Matthews
2 Heralds, 1 Registration