Re: TR6 Wheel Studs

To: Glenn Franco <gfranco@provide.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 Wheel Studs
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 10:18:30 -0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Tue, 25 Mar 1997, Glenn Franco wrote:

[stuff deleted for brevity]

> Bob where do I locate 1" spacers like Scott Shepards (this issue of
> Grassroots Motorsports?

I had a local machine shop crank a few out. It is nice to know folks
employed in that trade when you start doing these sorts of things to
your cars! A case of beer goes a long way, in a sense.

> Plan to do the same but Summit list Moroso and Dorman

Summit should be a good source.

> > 3. go to bigger spacers (1 inch is a possibility).
> Let me know where I can find these please.

See above. We can talk, if you can't find a local enthusiast to help you
out. Note: you might also ask the local auto machinist if they can
recommend anybody and you might also ask local racers (if you know any).

> > does not bottom out if you chose to use those tires! They are almost 4
> > inches shorter than the stock tires by my calcs....
> Less now I purchased the 1" shorter higher rate springs from BPNW.

By my calcs, that makes your frame under 3 inches with the wheels on?
That's pretty low. I've been to some AutoXs where that kind of clearance
guarantees that you'll bottom the car out! But the center of mass will be
really low too!

> Car will be primarily for Auto X and fun! I have a stock 71 TR6.

I have a goal like this too. However right now, the Stock TR6 has been
transmogrified into its current configuration. Later this year
(hopefully) some of the parts will start migrating over to the "other" TR6.

> I've kinda gone off the deep end with this car 74 TR6 and so far:

> *     Rebuilt the engine (a 70) with a piper cam.

Whoops, a cam, that puts you in Prepared Class. Those are mostly "real race
cars" (TM). I too rebuilt my engine about two years ago. It runs pretty
well, all things considered. Now, I'd really like to get my hands on a
stock TR5 cam or stock TR6 PI cam: that would be legal for Street Prepared.

> *     New valves, seat inserts.

I stayed stock. All was fine with my valve train. I did not mess with it.

> *     Clutch kit (Borg & Beck)

Yep.

> *     All Suspension bushings are either Urethane with inner metal sleeves
>       or Brass Bushings from Detroit Ball Bearing.

Yep. I'll be all Urethane in a week or so.

> *     Higher Rate springs on all four corners with 1" less height

Yep. I used Moss. My rear setup was already at the "low" setting.

> *     Aluminum Steering rack bushings.

Urethane.

> *     Detroit Locker diff. (Rod Bean is now a happy man)

Aha! So you're the person that got it. Congrats, but I'm jealous. I could
really use a limited slip!!!

> *     Frame off with reinforced/gusseted frame per TRF and Grassroots
>       Motorsports.

Not allowed for Street Prepared.

> *     A hybrid dual Holley 5200 carb set up (This still needs some
>      development).

Triple DCOE Webers on mine. When I get my custom exhaust finished, this
thing will flow!!

> *     Combining the best of whats left of two parts cars and a donor car
>     which I still need to disassemble and attach some ~$1500 of new
>     sheet metal.

This is where you can spend a lot of money and time on a project!

> > p.s going to TRF or VTR this year?
>
> You bet I haven't paid yet but I have gone the last three years and had
> fun. Plan to attend again this year with my family.

Did you go to both or just TRF? I'm thinking about both myself this year.

> Thanks for the info

Sure. Feel free to ask. I give stupid answers willingly. ;-)

> Glenn Franco
> 71 & 74 TR6

rml
'69,'72 & '74 TR6's
Bob Lang                Room 11-221            | This space for rent.
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |
url: http://web.mit.edu/afs/athena.mit.edu/user/b/l/blang/www/home.html
Quote: How many Triumphs do you own??? If you assembled all the parts, 3.5.