Re: TR6 Wheel Studs

To: gfranco@provide.net
Subject: Re: TR6 Wheel Studs
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 1997 13:57:54 -0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Hi,

I AutoX my '74 TR6.

I currently run 15X5.5 rims with 225/55-15 tires. I have to use .5 inch
spacers in the rear to illiminate inside tire to body rub. I use .25 inch
spacers in the front to keep the rims from grinding on the upper A arm.

I have not done this yet, but it is in my plans for things to do this year:

1. get 2 7/8 long  7/16 ARP brand studs.
2. Use 7/16 lugnuts that are "open end"
3. go to bigger spacers (1 inch is a possibility).
4. use 7 inch rims (if I win the lottery!) I'll use Panasports or Kaiser
15 X 7 with standard backspace.

Even though you already have the 8 inch rims, 7 inch should be adequate
for 225 tires. 45 series tires are pretty short, make sure that your car
does not bottom out if you chose to use those tires! They are almost 4
inches shorter than the stock tires by my calcs....

Hoosiers are _way sticky_! I'm using the road race radials compound. The
AutoX compound are _really-really-really_ sticky. And the AutoX tires will
not last long.

Note: Moroso long studs are "not recommended for use with wheel spacers".

I think you can get the ARP studs from Summit.

You might also consider 1/2" studs, but you may have to drill your wheels
out if you go to bigger studs.

JK Jackson seems to suggest the 225/50-15 tires, he likes the BF Goodrich
Comp TA R1 tires (according to Grassroots Motorsports about 2 or 3 years ago.

Have fun.
rml

p.s going to TRF or VTR this year?
Bob Lang                Room 11-221            | This space for rent.
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |
url: http://web.mit.edu/afs/athena.mit.edu/user/b/l/blang/www/home.html
Quote: How many Triumphs do you own??? A few, for now.