FW: Mallory Dual Point Distributor

To: "Triumph Group" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net> (Return requested)
Subject: FW: Mallory Dual Point Distributor
From: "Vincenti, Ross" <Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com>
Date: 25 Mar 1997 15:48:55 -0800
Alternate-recipient: Allowed
Conversion: Allowed
Disclose-recipients: Prohibited
X400-content-type: P2-1988 ( 22 )
X400-mts-identifier: [/c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; 0902A33386467036-mtamailhub]
X400-originator: Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com
X400-received: by /c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; Relayed; 25 Mar 1997 15:48:55 -0800
X400-received: by mta mtamailhub in /c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; Relayed; 25 Mar 1997 15:48:55 -0800
X400-recipients: non-disclosure; <0902A33386467036*/c=US/admd=ATTmail/prmd=Transam/o=tfs/s=Vincenti/g=Ross/@MHS>
Chris Taylor wrote:

> i'd appreciate any input from anyone who has tried a mallory dual point
setup in a
> spitfire.  i have a 75 spit that has had the lucas electronics replaced
with an earlier point type distributor is there any advantage to the mallory
or would i be better off rebuilding my existing distrib > chris,

Charlie Brown replied.............
I'll add an little extra to Bob Sykes comments. The Mallory is a good
distributor, well made and will probably last you for years. What makes them
much better that stock is the quickly (reasonably so) adjustable mechanical
advance. You can quickly change the maximum advance of the weights. If after
installation, you're not happy with the points, check with Crane, down in
Daytona Beach, at 904-258-6167. They can supply the XR700 ignition with a
shutter that works with the Mallory distributor.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
So now comes my question.  Since my original Delco distributor on my Mk I
1964 Spitfire has "sticking" mechanical advance weights and is not working
properly I am considering the Mallory Dual Point dizzy.  But, my
recollection is that it does NOT have a takeoff drive for the mechanical
tach in the dash of my Spit.  Correct?  If so, anyone have any ideas (short
of replacing the tach with an electic one) how I can use the Mallory dizzy
with my mech. tach?  If I decide to swap out the mechanical tach, does
anyone know if the the later electronic tachs are a "match" in terms of
appearance/size/installation with my early mech. tach?  If the later elec.
tach is a match, does anyone have one for sale?  Thanks in (mechanical)
advance.

Ross D. Vincenti
64 Spitfire 4
64 Porsche 356C Coupe