Re: clutch hydraulic line

To: Joseph Schneider <joe-schneider@nwu.edu>
Subject: Re: clutch hydraulic line
From: Charlie Brown <cb1500@erols.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 1997 18:17:10 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Joseph Schneider wrote:

> fellow triumph enthusiasts:
> Andy Mace has heard the specifics (in excruciating detail) of my forays
> into my recently acquired Spitfire 1500, I thought I'd give him a break and
> ask the rest of the list a question (but don't be afraid to answer, Andy)
>
> I'm replacing my clutch slave cylinder and I'm unhappy with the appearance
> of the threads on the hydraulic line nut, so I decided I would replace
> something (first case of Shipwright's disease?)- however, the slave appears
> to have identical upper and lower holes with conical places for the
> hydraulic line and bleed screw (the DPO had them reversed, bleed screw
> below and hydraulic line in above)- the hydraulic line has a simple flared
> end, i.e., no brass compression nut or other device to mate with the
> conical recess, is this correct or is this another gift from the DPO? if a
> simple flared end is normal, I suppose there's enough play in the hydraulic
> line that I could simlpy cut the flare off (so I could remove the old nut),
> replace the nut and flare the end again, any thoughts?
> thanks

Joe,

You want to find someone who's familiar with an ISO flair. Eastwood and a
few other companies make a kit that can form these "bubble" flairs.
Prices range from about $50 - $70. If you just need to replace the one
line, buy a new one. If you're going to be doing a lot of hydraulic work
on Triumphs, buy a kit.

Good luck,
Charlie B.